Replacing a foundation in an old house is a complex and expensive project, but it can be necessary if the foundation is damaged or failing. The best way to replace a foundation will depend on the specific circumstances of the house, but the general process is as follows:
- Prepare the house. This involves removing all of the furniture and belongings from the house, and supporting the house on temporary supports.
- Demolish the old foundation. This can be done using a variety of methods, such as jackhammers or excavators.
- Excavate the site. The new foundation will need to be deeper than the old foundation, so the site will need to be excavated to a sufficient depth.
- Pour the new foundation. The new foundation will typically be made of concrete, and will be poured into forms that have been set up on the site.
- Backfill the site. Once the new foundation has cured, the site will be backfilled with soil.
- Lower the house onto the new foundation. The house will be lowered onto the new foundation using a variety of methods, such as hydraulic jacks or cranes.
- Reconnect the utilities. The utilities that were disconnected during the project will be reconnected to the house.
Here are some additional tips for replacing a foundation in an old house:
- Get permits. This is a major project, so it is important to get the necessary permits from your local government before starting.
- Hire a qualified contractor. This is a complex project, so it is important to hire a qualified contractor who has experience with foundation replacement.
- Be prepared for the cost. Replacing a foundation is a major expense, so be prepared for the cost before starting the project.
- Be prepared for the inconvenience. This is a disruptive project, so be prepared for the inconvenience of living without a home for a period of time.
Replacing a foundation in an old house is a major project, but it can be necessary if the foundation is damaged or failing. By following the tips above, you can help to ensure that the project is completed successfully.
Sameera Building Construction
Your One-Stop Shop for Building Dreams (Literally!)
We've got bricks, we've got beams, and we've got a bunch of hard hats.
Because when it comes to construction, we don't just build buildings; we build stories.Visit Us Now and Join the Fun!